Grace Cottage provides care to all, regardless of ability to pay. Emergency room services will not be declined because you cannot pay. Necessary medical care will not be declined because you are unable to pay. Financial assistance is available to eligible patients. A summary of the policy is listed below. For full details, see our complete Reduced Fee and Free Care Policy.
How Can I Qualify for Financial Assistance?
Anyone living in our service area and meeting the income limits is eligible for free or discounted necessary medical care.
The Grace Cottage Service Area includes the following Vermont towns: Athens. Bellows Falls. Bondville. Brattleboro. Brookline. Cambridgeport. Chester. Dover. Dummerston. Grafton. Guilford. Jamaica. Londonderry. Manchester. Marlboro. Newfane. Peru. Putney. Saxtons River. Stratton. Townshend. Vernon. Wardsboro. Westminster. Wilmington. Windham.
Anyone living outside of our service area is eligible for free or discounted care for emergency services only.
Eligibility is determined by financial need. Patients with or without insurance may be eligible. Grace Cottage does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, social or immigrant status, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.
If you feel you will not qualify for financial assistance, please know there are many factors considered. At times, a case-by-case review is done to determine eligibility.
What Services are Not Covered?
The following services are not eligible for this benefit:
- Non-emergent services denied by your insurance company because:
- We are out of their network
- The patient did not complete the requirements of the insurance company
- Patient did not get mandatory prior authorization
- Non-emergent services to patients residing outside the service area
- Liability cases where a lien has been filed
- Insurance company sent the payment to the patient, but the patient has not sent the payment in full to Grace Cottage
- Medical care for a job
- Medical care for an insurance company
- Medical care for administrative reasons
- Medical care for liability reasons
- Medical care for a work-related injury
- Allergy Serum
- Birth control devices
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Elective procedures, such as cosmetic and elective immunizations
The following entities, third parties, and providers are not covered by the Grace Cottage Financial Assistance Program:
- Messenger Valley Pharmacy
- Rescue Inc. Ambulance
- Kerr Ambulance
- Golden Cross Ambulance
- DHART- Emergency Transport Services
- Fletcher Allen Healthcare
- State of Vermont
- BLA PARTNERS LLC
- OrthoCare DME
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for financial assistance at any point before, during, or after your care. You must apply within 240 days of your first billing statement. To apply, complete a Reduced Fee and Free Care Application. Submit the form and required financial items to:
Jocelyne Smith, CAC
Patient Resource Advocate
P.O. Box 216
Townshend, VT 05353
Please do not send any financial documents via email. The privacy and security of email cannot be guaranteed.
If approved, you will receive a letter within 30 days after your complete application is received.