Comfort Care at the End of Life
When people are facing the end of life, whether for themselves or a loved one, it can be very difficult to decide between all the care options that are available. For patients whose death is imminent, palliative care can alleviate distressing symptoms that can be common in the last few days or weeks of life. At Grace Cottage we are privileged to provide high-quality palliative care with dignity and respect.
Who is eligible?
Anyone who chooses comfort care in the face of a life-threatening illness, and whose death is imminent.
How do I access this service?
- Hospice at Home: If you are in the community receiving Hospice Care through a local home health agency, speak with your Hospice team about admission to Grace Cottage if the care at home becomes too difficult. Your Hospice team will help coordinate an admission, if appropriate.
- Primary Care Provider (PCP): Speak with your PCP, who may coordinate with our Hospitalist for admission.
- Contact Us Directly: Please feel free to contact us anytime, and we will help you determine whether admission to our End of Life Care Program is right for you.
What services will be provided?
- Pain Management
- Symptom Management
- Tender Personal Care
- Spiritual Support, as desired
- Support provided by our Interdisciplinary Team
- Care Coordination with local hospice agencies.
How will my family be supported?
We want you and your family to be as comfortable as possible. The End of Life Suite is a private room that includes an adjoining family room and access to an all-season sun porch. The family room includes a pull-out sofa bed, a small refrigerator, a microwave, a separate full bathroom, a television and sound system, as well as additional space for family. We will provide a morning and afternoon snack cart to help support your family with nourishment. The Interdisciplinary Team will provide ongoing grief and supportive counseling.
For more information about our End of Life Care Suite and Comfort Care Program, please contact Jessica Emerson, Director of Social Services at 802-365-3614, or firstname.lastname@example.org.